Movie Review: Antman Starring Paul Rudd

Now you are thinking to yourself what is a Beauty/Lifestyle Blogger doing reviewing a Comic book movie?? I would think the exact same thing seeing as I am not much of a SuperHero/Comic Book movie aficionado, I just don't do them. BUT every skeptic can be swayed I believe and that is what happened when I attended the NYC premiere of AntMan starring Paul Rudd. First of all a huge shout out to Marshall Weinbaum for making this all possible that us bloggers can enjoy a event like this, For me it was my first premiere and hopefully not the last. We also got to see the man himself, In the flesh and he gave us a background on how he came to the role which is as he put it:"Like adding cousin Oliver to the Brady's" Very fitting statement Paul, but you are a bit more skilled than that!


Now onto the movie... Before I begin my review I just want to give you a synopsis of the movie itself:The next evolution of the Marvel Cinematic Universe brings a founding member of The Avengers to the big screen for the first time with Marvel Studios’ “Ant-Man.” Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, master thief Scott Lang must embrace his inner hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym, protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.

As mentioned before the movie stars Paul Rudd who we see at the beginning is just getting released from prison for a series of burglaries. He promises now that he is sworn off any crime from this day forward to go straight and get a real job so that he could take care of his young daughter who is adorable as can be, Hilariously you see his good intentions are not turning out quite the way he wanted them to. For one he has to room with his good buddy and former heist pal Michael Pena who plays Luis,who  is nothing short of the instigator to Scott's next big heist. He also has the help and friendship of Dave played by rapper T.I. Harris  and Kurt, played by David Dastmalchian. For me the combination of these 3 was the perfect comedic team backing the funny man himself who is no slouch with the one liners. "Why didn't you call the Avengers"?? "Sorry I'm late I was saving the world, you know how that is".


For me the this movie was much more than just your typical comic book movie where everyone in the world is doomed by an evil villain who wants to take a brilliant concept and turn it in to something chaotic ( As the character Darren Cross a.k.a Yellowjacket) who takes a concept created by Dr Hank Pym (played magnificently by the iconic Michael Douglas who once had Cross as his protege' but when he was exposed to the incredible technology and life that Hank was leading by being able to shrink into the Antman he became obsessed and wanted to pursue it when Hank was all too willing to leave it behind after losing his wife. Which leads into another story of the broken relationship between father and daughter (played by actress Evangeline Lily) which ties into a similar situation Paul Rudd would be facing with his young daughter had he not become the Antman at the behest of Hank who knew he found the right man for the job. Of course Lily is not at all impressed with Scott's being in the position she had so desperately wanted since her mother's demise, but the story deepens and really opens you up to the reality of what a Father's love truly means.



All in all this movie entertained me and kept me interested from start to finish, It was hilarious, heartwarming, at some points a bit predictable but that comes with the territory of any Superhero movie We know two things:
 1. Good always conquers evil 
 2. There WILL be a sequel.
 I can honestly say I will be there again rooting on the Antman.
My recommendation is take the family, everyone Mom, Dad, kids, Grandparents, Uncles etc.. They will all fall in love with the Antman as I have.

Spoiler alert: There are 2 credit rollings so make sure you stay for both!!

Popular Posts